Buying a handmade item is more than just another item in your home. Many surprising benefits make a purchase of a handmade item a wise decision and a more valuable alternative than shopping in the mass market.
Of course, there are only NO ONE reasons we prefer handmade goods over mass-produced alternatives. There are many of them, and each one is as right and important as the next.
1. Some of us feel a sense of camaraderie and community when we buy something made by another talented person. By supporting local artisans, you are investing money in the community in which you live, which is critical in today's economy. You are supporting a person who may only have a small studio or room in their home to pursue their hobby. The artist is often the only person responsible for manufacturing, packaging, marketing, sales, and customer service. They have a lot invested in each piece, and your support is more than just a benefit to them. Your purchase is an admiration for their work and encouragement to continue on the path and achieve their dream.
2. Some of us prefer the quality of handmade goods to cheap, industrially produced ones and see the purchase of handmade goods as a way to quietly (or perhaps loudly) protest mass-produced goods. With mass-produced goods, there is a tendency to make them as cheaply as possible to maximize profits. On the other hand, artists typically use the highest quality materials and ingredients, often handpicked and sourced locally. They may spend hours perfecting each piece and pay close attention to detail.
3. Some of us see our purchases as a means of support and love for another. When we help an artist realize their dreams, it conveys a sense of appreciation and self-worth. You can enjoy knowing that your purchase has a powerful impact on the artist's life - because this is their livelihood and the method they support their family. Be proud to buy handmade!
4. Some of us like the originality and authenticity of handmade products: The personal touch added during the design process allows the artist to give each piece its personality. That emphasizes the charm of handmade items and makes each unique piece an authentic work of art.
5. Some of us like to offer handmade gifts. Buying handmade gifts for the people you care about is a memorable and meaningful decision. Handmade products, made with love, are sold with honesty and integrity and are meant to last a lifetime. Your friends and family will appreciate owning an authentic, handmade work of art rather than a factory product.
6. Some of us follow the theory of eco-craftsmanship. Handmade means that an item is made primarily by human hands rather than machines. That saves energy by reducing the need for production facilities and eliminating chemicals and waste. To road a path for a sustainable future, handmade products are often made using environmentally friendly processes, and many manufacturers use best practices for packaging. In addition, many of these products are likely to use recycled, reclaimed, and repurposed materials in their production. That makes handmade products a better choice for shoppers who want to buy goods made in an environmentally conscious way.
7. Some of us believe that all of the above is true.
But do you want to know what is best about the above reasons that are not listed?
There is no single, definitive reason to reject the mass market of mediocrity in favor of handmade goods. There are MANY.
We are so grateful that you support not only our store full of handmade goods but every other artist out there!